Monday, August 4, 2008

Panniers and Return On Investment

***Panniers***

Ah.... panniers....how hard can it be?

Well the answer turned out... a lot more complex than I was expecting. Quick release, straps, buckles, the wretched rack I don't have that they need to attach to. Reviews told me that the cheap stuff falls apart and that the expensive stuff is "reliable, but you don't have to spend that much..." Can I find the implied middle ground? No I can't. Plus, once I have seen something at a low price, I take on a mildly obsessive mission to find a decent branded version for the same price...

At which point, from the smoke of Rotherham comes rising J E James - a bike shop with an online offering that has the worst search functionality I have ever come across. What it DOES have is a rather good sale on Altura panniers... specifically these ones for exactly the same price as Halford's own label ones. It says it is offering a tenner off the RRP, but as I didn't find them anywhere else for under forty pounds, I feel like I got a sizeable saving...


***Return on Investment***

So, having taken advantage of credit crunch sales, what will be the ROI when this stuff finally appears? Well, my Monday night on www.tfl.gov.uk proved several things...

It is "all or nothing". Because my overland trains don't take PAYG, if I don't have a travelcard, I either cycle or spend a LONG time on buses. In rush hour. Which, ironically, is when buses are at their slowest. So, in response to the comment from one of my avid readers (all 3 of them at last count)... should there be rain in London, yes I will be cycling in it.

Other cycling bloggers keep a spreadsheet blah blah... I think that is a bit excessive. In terms of payback, I reckon it should be 4 weeks (still depending on a rack which needs to magic its way up from somewhere...) Normal monthly outgoings - 166.72, investment on extra bike gear not including stupid rack 129.97... added to the guarantee of a seat wherever I go!!

However, as my dearly beloved lives in Surrey, I will have to retain a PAYG for when I go to visit him. This is because, despite being assured that I can park my bike at Victoria Station, I am cynical as to the state of it when I get back, so the garage at the office is probably my preferred option.

Estimated timing to the abandonment of my travelcard?? Amazon are rubbish, still yet to despatch, panniers are currently in transit. Fingers crossed it will not require renewing on Monday...

1 comment:

Jan said...

crikey! what language is this?? LOL. umm...où est le bavardage?