Monday, August 4, 2008

Getting my BoJo - without getting lost

So BoJo says that too many people are not riding bikes they have access to. And golly, you know what? He is right. In my case, definitely right


I like being on a bike. I like it so much that 2 years ago I rode the Anti-Atlas, last year the Rockies and May a 24 hour off-road team relay. Some of that training involved a trusty hybrid (Spec Globe, love it) to and from the office, and I felt much the fitter and leaner for it. However, since changing jobs a whopping two months ago, I haven't been on a bike... I'm fat, spending a fortune on public transport, I even stroke my hybrid on my way in and out of my flat... so what has been stopping me? None of this "is it safe" or "are there cycle lanes" nonsense, but some far more prosaic things I needed to find out:


  • The way - I have NO sense of direction. My previous commute involved only 3 turns in a 7 mile ride and I only had an 80% rate of getting that right


  • Whether there were showers/hairdryers etc.etc. - for what will be a ~9 mile ride each way, I expect to get a little hot under the collar...


  • What to do if I went out on an evening... my old job didn't lend itself to the greatest work/life balance, so I only ever needed to worry about getting to and from the office (see above point about having NO sense of direction)


  • What to carry my stuff in - I used to have a brilliant ergonomic backpack thing that fitted my laptop and an array of everything else. However, it belonged to my previous employer and they wanted it back.

  • What would have to be carried and what could be left behind in the office.


  • How to manage the Oyster/bike balance... my new job requires me to get overland trains and they don't use Oyster PAYG yet.


Admittedly, some of those have been easy to find out. Yes there are showers/hairdryers, there is a secure garage to lock my bike, there is a wardrobe for stuff... so I am just left with...

NO sense of direction, how to carry stuff and what to do about Oyster.

A bizarre thing about bikes is that they are not sold like cars. They do not come with a rack to put stuff on, lock, lights etc. They are sold like a stripped down chassis that you need to add things onto to make it the vehicle you need. Lights and lock I already have, but to gear it up further, I needed to do some severe shopping around...



  1. SatNav... I can't function on a bike without either following someone or stopping at every corner to check the map.

  2. Panniers - apparently better for your back and I have had on/off back problems for the best part of 5 years. (Also a pannier rack so that I can attach the panniers)

So.... as I can't operate without direction, first priority was the SatNav. Well, with retailers taking a bath at the moment, I was hoping for some reasonable bargains. As it turned out, they are plentiful at the moment - if you have a car. My goal was under £100 but still reliable, which last year wasn't an option... whaddya know? Garmin is selling their well-rated Nuvi 200 for £89.99 vs a previous price of £139.99.

Bike-specific satnavs seem to remain niche elite and I could only find very sexy ones for £300+. Now, I am sure they are worth all the random stuff they do, but not to just stop me getting lost in London. However, it is about being resourceful, so why not use a car one on a bike? If you already have USB cables, you can charge the Nuvi 200 without a car for 4 hours use. Additionally, my dearly beloved offered to "customise" it (ie mount it on a Jubilee clip to screw onto the handlebars) I decided I was all set. Imagine my excitement when the friendly chap at Halford's overheard this conversation and informed me I could get a handlebar mount for it... So, subject to Amazon's delivery times (I'm tight so went for the slower, free option) my lack of direction will soon be a thing of the past. And, in that time, I have more shopping around to do for panniers (and just to reiterate - a rack - why sell a "commuting bike" without one? Specialized, are you listening???)

As for Oyster... some time on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ may be required... That's my Monday evening planned

1 comment:

Jan said...

what about that rain that london occasionally gets. would you still bike in on those days?