Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Soggy

Well for the first time since hanging up my travelcard, I rode in torrential rain. Not just rain that requires a light showerproof jacket but full whack leggings, winter lined waterproof and full finger gloves.



For those of you who haven't tried cycling London in the rain yet, the puddles seem to have a silly amount of grit in. Hence, covering all available skin is a Very Good Idea. Another Very Good Idea would be shoe covers....



I always thought that they looked a bit daft and also a bit fiddly to use, so have avoided them, despite riding miles in pouring rain in Afan Argoed (aka off-road heaven). However, I saw a lot of them on the roads this morning and maybe the people wearing them have got something... I had little rivers between my toes for the last two miles this morning. If my shoes are as wet as they are now, 3 1/2 hours after arriving, by the time I ride home tonight, I may be investing in some shortly.

The other difficulty with cycling in heavy rain is that the white lines that mark bus lanes and are an excellent place to ride in absence of cycle-specific lanes become VERY slippery. This means that it took me about 5 minutes longer to get in this morning. Compared to the delays that flooding causes to the TfL system, I know which I prefer.

I am also expecting to be featured in a letter to the free press at some point this week. When will pedestrians realise that bikes CANNOT BRAKE LIKE CARS? This is even more true in wet weather. My victim this morning stepped into the cycle lane without looking, I swerved (braking would have either not been short enough or sent me over the handlebars) and I happened to swerve in a rather large puddle and spray her from top to toe.

1 comment:

Jan said...

D'OH! LOL!! i bet she won't step out in front of a bike again!